What made you decide to start writing? What was your personal “kick-off”?
I have always loved reading. To the point of obsession. Then without even realizing it I realized I LOVED Bromance in a show… two lead male characters would die for each other, always had each other’s backs and so on… So this is how writing professionally started for RJ Scott.
1. I always love bromances. My first ever bromance was in the animation Battle Of The Planets pairing Jason and Mark in my head (as hero’s, not as lovers – I was only eight or so!)
2. Take it up to 2007 or so and I saw an advert on ITV2 (A TV station in England) advertising this ghost hunting paranormal type show coming soon, with the tag line *Scary Got Sexy*. One look at the actors and I was like *I am watching that*.
3. I mainlined Supernatural Season 1 and 2 in one go and then I had to WAIT for season 3…. What was I going to do…?
4. I love to read, so I found writers who wrote in the Supernatural sandbox and created whole new stories with the characters I loved. I found a site called Sinful Desire which featured stories with the characters.
I clicked on the wrong button.
Really, that is what I did.
5. Instead of Sam and Dean I selected Jared as one of the characters and suddenly I found all this stuff where people wrote stories around the real people Jared and Jensen; they called it RPF (Real Person Fiction).
6. THEN… I thought… what is this J2 thing? So I clicked there. :O
7. Jared and Jensen were being written as being in a relationship. Two pretty, gorgeous, sexy men, in a make-believe-but-wholly-plausible relationship and suddenly the floodgates opened. This bromance was something I wanted to write about.
8. One million words of J2 fan fiction later, writing 2000 words a day and maybe more, around my EDJ and the rest of my life, I was hooked. I was also obsessed and wished there was some way I could write every day for a living.
9. Chris Quinton and I chatted and she said I should give it a go.
10. My first ever short was accepted by DSP, Oracle was taken by another publisher… it hasn’t stopped since.
11. Thank you ITV2
12. And Jared and Jensen
13. And Chris Quinton… x
RJ has a new book out with eXtasy Publishing…